Saturday, March 9, 2013

Gate River Run...

I ran the 5k (Florida Times Union sponsored) portion of the River Run last year after not running for several years. The last time I ran the 15k (many years ago) I think I managed close to 8 minute miles. Last year I labored through the 3.1 miles at about a13 minute a mile pace (UGHHH).  It was fun to be a participant and I am definitely glad I was a part of the event, so this year I was almost tempted to try again (even though I haven't run a step since last year.) Fortunately, the voice of reason got my attention and I enjoyed breakfast with my daughters, son in law and husband after they did their own fun run through the neighborhood.

One of the best parts of the shorter distance (aside from not having to even think about the dreaded monster called the Hart Bridge) is that the 5K accommodates every skill level. Some entrants walked the 3.l miles while others raced! The real excitement comes when waiting at the finish line to cheer on the serious competitors and seeing lots of people you know finishing the race. It is truly amazing to be part of more than 17,000 runners. Kudos to all of the participants. It is always an incredible race and today was a beautiful day to be running in Jacksonville. CONGRATULATIONS to Andrew Carlson and Deena
Kastor, 2013 Gate River Run Champions!



1 comment:

  1. I have not run the Gate since 2007 but my brother has run it every year and says this year was the most well-organized and enjoyable yet so I am going to do it next year. Maybe I will see you there Katie :-)

    ReplyDelete