Monday, April 1, 2013

Richard Bach




What the caterpillar calls
      the end of the world,
The master calls
       the butterfly.

Richard Bach
Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah



This goes on the list of my all- time favorite quotes. It summarizes my interest in the power of thought and how our thoughts can shape our experience.  In short, it's all about perspective. Our thoughts are often limiting at best and fearful at worst.  I, like the caterpillar am often limited in experience and understanding so my perception can be narrow.

 It is never what happens that causes me joy or pain, it is my thoughts about the event. A fruitful exercise is to monitor your thoughts for just one day. How many could be described as limiting or fearful? How many are loving and expansive? The answer may surprise you. I do know that when my thoughts are in the present moment they are often positive. As a little extra incentive to notice my thoughts,  being in the now (instead of  focusing on the past or jumping ahead) influences my future for the better. Try it, the rewards are worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment