Thursday, May 8, 2014

Happiness



4. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

     This statement is another interesting thought to ponder. How often have I looked to someone else to make me happy. I don't have to like what another person is doing but with some practice I can view their behavior as their issue, because the reality is someone else's thoughts and deeds are really their own business. Hmmm... you might be thinking, yeah, sure but what if their actions affect me? Good point, but you always have a choice. It was wonderful when I discovered I had the ability to choose my thoughts and actions. If someone was making me unhappy I would reluctantly look at myself first. What was I choosing to believe was true about the person or situation? How could I change myself, not the person. Did I have the ability to change the situation? If so, what was I waiting for? There is a wonderful variation of the well known 12 Step Serenity prayer that I love when I get myself into a twirl about what someone else may be doing or not doing.


       God, grant me the serenity to accept the person I cannot change
     The courage to change the one I can
     And the wisdom to know it's me.

I chuckle every time I hear or read that. I really do have so many choices to make myself happy. I've learned that depending on anyone else to do that job will probably end in disappointment. Besides, no one else is going to do nearly as good a job as you will do in making sure you are happy! Enjoy your day.
      

                                  
Happiness truly is in your hands

   

No comments:

Post a Comment