Friday, May 17, 2013

Simple Summer Salad





Light, filling and tasty!!







When I am looking for an easy, delicious and satisfying dinner on a hot summer evening, I always go back to the basics - A light but filling salad. Whatever lettuce I have on hand (usually a bibb or romaine) and a meat topping (my favorite is shredded rotisserie chicken) form the backbone of the meal.  Borrowing from the Cobb tradition, bacon and egg really are the secret ingredients. From there, I can add all kinds of goodies. Avocado, tomato, pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, cheese and croutons are just a few ideas to add different tastes and textures (not to mention monounsaturated fats, which are the "good kind".) If I want to cut down on the animal protein, I may just make a lettuce, tomato, bacon and hard boiled egg version.  This salad has a lot going on, so I stick to a good extra virgin olive oil and red wine or balsamic vinegar for the dressing. It never fails to get compliments... even from my die-hard meat and potatoes family members.

Ingredients:

Your favorite lettuce, chopped or ripped
6 slices of cooked bacon (I always make more just in case)
2 hard boiled eggs
1 cup of rotisserie or baked chicken
1 avocado
fresh mozzarella cheese cut in pieces
grape tomatoes
croutons
extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients and toss lightly
Serves 6-8



                                            

1 comment: