Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson





What do Andrew Jackson and theater have in common? Not much I would suspect. It's amusing that through a series of events we found ourselves at Players by the Sea in Jacksonville Beach enthralled  by a production of Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson. 

I don't know much about community theater but I do know when I am entertained. Directed by Ron Shreve, this play is not for the easily offended. It is a punk rock version of Andrew Jackson's life focusing on his presidency. It is rambunctious, scandalous, and sexy. I'm recycling what I shared on Facebook.





"If you are looking for some entertainment this weekend and haven't been to community theater lately, you may want to check out Players by the Sea's production of Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson. Ron Shreve directs a raucous, fun, high energy, punk rock version of our city's namesake. The cast has a palatable synergy with infectious energy and Nick Sacks as Andrew Jackson nails it! Some adjectives I heard describing the experience were rowdy, scandalous, fun, energetic and amazing. For me it was pure entertainment. Some warnings... It is an equal opportunity offender with rough language and several brands of political and social incorrectness for every taste. It may even leave you wondering why you didn't pay closer attention in history class. If it was as interesting as this version, I know I would have."


No comments:

Post a Comment