Monday, July 22, 2013

Don't be a people pleaser!




3. Don't be a people pleaser

As a general rule, I like to speak in positives instead of negatives so I would rephrase this suggestion as:
Be true to yourself.  Some studies suggest that first born children have more of a tendency to be "people pleasers." As a first-born, I can say that this is probably correct... at least for me. In a sense, pleasing others is not a bad thing but if it becomes an obligation or a way of life that causes a spoken or unspoken resentment, it is not healthy. A general rule for me is as follows: Is it my joy and pleasure to do -----? If the answer is yes, then I'm pleasing myself. If not, I'm in the "people pleasing" mode.
One of the things I truly have learned is that you can't give what you don't have. Taking care of yourself is important. If not you, who else will???





No comments:

Post a Comment