Thursday, January 24, 2013

What an Adventure!

My daughter is interested in the entertainment industry and she booked a small job in Miami this week. The details arrive about 24 hrs before the call time so I knew we needed a hotel in Miami, I just didn't know where. Miami is a big place (really???) and the traffic is brutal (as is the parking) so my main goal was to find a place very close so she could be on time for her 6am call time. (Fortunately it was changed to 8am at 9pm the night before.) Can you feel my anxiety yet??

I had a map and an address of home base so I employed my good friends Mary and Valerie, both who had experience with negotiating Miami, to come to my aid. Val was actually in Miami when I called for her advice and Mary was assisting with the tiny map provided to help make sure we ended up in a safe area. We had a few options but settled on a hotel that was within walking distance of the shoot. The website looked great and the price was really good. They admitted to doing a little renovation so I thought they may be slightly discounting the price. Mary, Val and I all felt we had done our due diligence so I was happily on my way.

Looks good, right?
                                   

My daughter and I arrived in downtown Miami about 11pm. We circled the block and could not find the hotel! No one answered the phone so we immediately thought we had been scammed! On the third round, someone answered and told us to look for the UHAUL truck. We could unload our bags and then go to a public lot to park! HMMMM....

Not so good

Needs some work
                       
Looks better the next morning but definitely not ready!

Fortunately, there was a Holiday Inn on the next block that had a vacancy. We ended up having a great time and my daughter had a wonderful experience. The TV series will be out this summer and we will have a fun story to tell! Optimism at its Best! Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment