Monday, December 31, 2012

2013 Goals

Wow, another year has passed. It always astounds me how quickly a year can seem to pass in the Macro. Maybe not so fast in the micro. A few years ago an acquaintance told me he did 50 pull ups everyday but when he started several months before he couldn't do one. I was impressed because as a former competitive swimmer I recognized the discipline it took to acquire the upper body strength to do so many repetitions. I have made it a priority to stay in shape but have never enjoyed strength training. However, I recently decided that a little extra effort to get stronger would be a great goal. I went to the gym and was shocked that I couldn't do even one pull-up. (The back story here is that I was a collegiate All -American swimmer, swam Masters and have had significant upper body strength for most of my life so it was quite disheartening.)



A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao-tzu   (604 BCE -531 BCE)

My goal for this year is to be able to do 10 consecutive pull-ups. Honestly, that seems like a thousand mile journey but I'm starting with a single step. I will keep you posted. What goal do you have that seems like a huge journey? What small step can you take today to reach your goal?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to hear how this goes-- I will be so impressed if you can do 4 by the end of the year! You are inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete